Re: [IRCA] R-390A as a DX machine

At 10:04 AM 3/18/2007, you wrote:

>The SPR4 I have tunes in 500-700 khz bands too. The MW band is set from
>500-1000 and then 1000-1500. I can tune about 140 khz on each side
>though. I think my old R1000 is also splitting the band. I know the SP
>600 I used to have split the band at 1350 khz. I guess that was really
>common in the past. It is nice with the R8 I don't have to do that.
>
>73,
>
>Patrick

The R390A actually tunes in 1 MHz bands with the "0" MHz band starting at 500, although the counter does go down to 0.  Therefore if one tunes up from 500 to 999 (actually it'll tune a little past 1000 kHz), you then switch to "1" MHz and then tune down.  Still pretty awkward.  I haven't been all that impressed with my R390A for MW dxing split frequencies compared to say my 7030+.  I do, however, have the SE-3 with the 390A and it's supposed to allow for much better reception, but I find it a tad on the fiddley side (and the instructions have always been terrible for the first time user.  For $400 + you'd think that Sherwood would provide better documentation....a personal beef).  For SW, though, it's a superb performer and SSB with the SE-3 is a breeze. ..........Walt

Checked by AVG Free Edition.