Re: [IRCA] We now return you to your regularly scheduled DXing

At 03:31 07/03/2007, you wrote:

>My questions are legion, but here are the big ones:
>
>1. Should I terminate the beverage antenna, concentrating most
>of it's pattern towards the South? I have few LA loggings, other
>than Cuba. But then again, my Spanish is not so good.
>
>If I leave it unterminated, I might be able to snag some more
>stations to the North, including much needed New England...but
>I'd have to phase out those Southern signals.

I think Neil Kazaross may have addressed this, Les:

>An unterminated BOG has a considerably better F/B than does an unterminated
>Bev. I'd expect the back lobe to be down about 5 or 6 dB midband for a 500
>ft BOG.  You may find my detailed test results posted here to be
>interesting.
>http://www.dxing.info/community/viewtopic.php?t=371

(i.e. you may find your BOG "too long", even unterminated)

If I read your description correctly, you have 20 yards possible
separation,  so can you run two hidden parallel BOGs and phase
them?  Neil might have more to say on that.

>2. What would be the optimum mounting for the new active whips? I
>suspect that they'll do the bulk of the work. Plan to feed both
>to the Quantum Phaser and switch in the loop, beverage,or
>HF loop if I'm having trouble with a null or skywave angle.

quick and dirty answer would be to keep them away from the
house,  and its electrical wiring,  as much as
possible.   Traditionally they like to be high and away from
other,  especially conducting, objects, but in your situation,
keeping them away from conducting objects might be the best you can
do.   I've been surprised how much signal they put out mounted close
to the ground, as long as you can keep the local noise down.

The beauty of the Wellbrook loop,  which you also plan to use, is
that it can deliver a strong signal when mounted close to the ground
and often seems to suffer less from noise than active whips
do.  Hopefully, your quiet location will mean that both active
antennas will deliver good enough signal strength for some serious
phasing.  What Wellbrook loop will you use?

>3. As some may know, I'm a Westerner at heart, and
>love to log new "K" calls more than anything. Alas,to
>the West are several neighbors homes, ruling out
>any wires in that direction. Any suggestions on
>how I could continue to log stations in that direction?
>
>Perhaps an EWE or something? But it can't be higher than
>the eight foot tall privacy fence.

I'll bet even an eight foot high EWE could provide some degree of
nulling to the east if you're trying to peak western signals over
stronger ones to the east.   But maybe see how the phasing works
before going to the trouble of a small EWE?  Mind you, "more antennas
are better antennas" I find, even on a city lot.

Good luck.

best wishes,

Nick