[IRCA] KTRB Comments

    For those following the movement of KTRB - 860 to the San Francisco
Bay Area, an accurate historical account of the station can be found in
Bob Wien's column in the the March 3, 2007 issue of DX Monitor and
"soft" DX MONITOR.

    I was born and raised in Modesto and my cousin, Milt Hibdon, began
his radio career at KTRB. He often talked about the station -- a clear
channel station that maintained its regional programming and appeal for
many years, and one that he was proud to have been a part.

    Bill Bates was a local figure, had an AM program which I listened to
back in the 50's while getting ready to go to school. Bill provided
programming for the community. Whether it was involving downtown
Modesto, the Portuguese community of the West Side (broadcasting in the
Portuguese language), local sports, weather information, lost children,
lost animals (and the occasional wandering cow), he tried to provide
something for all listeners.

    Years ago, KTRB conducted a DX Test for the IRCA and NRC. When I
approached Cal Purviance, PD and part-time CE, about the test, he
enthusiastically agreed.

    KTRB was a part of the community and never forgot its roots.

    Mike in Jacksonville, NC

My cousin, Milt Hibdon, went on to be GMs at several stations. His last
GM position was KORL-650, in HI, years ago. After KORL, he was assigned
to corporate HQ in New York where he passed away in 1989.