Re: [IRCA] TPs and TAs on the West Coast

Re: [IRCA] TPs and TAs on the West Coast

Mike,

I am hoping two cycles repeat themselves in the future. One, is the the
fantastic night after night of solid DUs up and down the dial in the
early 80s I had here. Two and three DUs on many frequencies. In the
period of a few years I picked up over 200 Aussies & over 100 NZers plus
most of the Pacific heard & QSL'd. After 1985, that pretty much
disappeared. Today, DUs are maybe 10% of what they once were.  The
second is the unbelievable conditions from 1992-1995, when I heard and
QSL'd Nepal, India, Tibet, and Bangladesh. That was much more short
lived, but it was great while it lasted.  Conditions do run in cycles.
However, quite often sometimes those conditions never repeat themselves
to the point where there once were. In both cases, the DUs and the
Subcontiental Asians have never returned. Sure, I have had decent DU
openings since those days, and on a rare occasion,  and India on 1566,
but nothing like before. I think it comes down to being at the dials at
the right time.  As far a TAs go, at least here the fantastic opening I
got back in the early 80s was much better than anything I have had in
recent years. I was driving to the store in the early 80s when I had
Algeria 891 armchair copy on the car radio! I came home and pulled a
bunch of Germans, France, UK, etc, easy as pie. The opening was weak
here last Fall compared to the early 80s.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager