Re: [IRCA] transferring recordings from cassettes to digital media

Re: [IRCA] transferring recordings from cassettes to digital media

I have been reading with much interest how others store, backup and what naming convention they use for electronic audio recordings/files
  .
  Me, I have 2 external hard drives both 230GB. I use one for just audio recordings, airchecks and my own recordings both AM/FM and Shortwave. I download all the old shortwave and old AM recordings I can find on the internet.

  For my AM recordings, I have a folder named "AM Recordings", within this folder I have a folder for every AM frequency from 530 to 1700khz. Any AM recordings I find or record myself I place them into the correct folder. The naming convention I use is; Freq, Call, Date and Time (UTC). I have been recording since 2001 when I arrived in this country, but I have a large collection of tapes from Australia. I have been very lazy in the early days in record keeping of all these recordings, but recently I have started tracking all the details in my Access database. Any Call/format changes I record for my library!!

  I try to once a year, I record what I call "Frequency Airchecks" using Total recorder. This means I setup the receiver on a certian frequency each night example; 1st receiver on 540khz and 2nd receiver on 550khz etc till I finish the AM band. I have my two computers with total recorder setup up accordingly. I setup the scheduler from 6pm to 7am 7 days a week and record 2 minutes TOH and 7 minutes past TOH. This will take roughly 8-10 weeks to complete, using this method I have snagged new stations as well.

  The other drive I use for radio history files and general computer backup. I have some files backed up to DVD and CD as data files, but not all. I still have to come up with a good method of picking at which files I have not backed up and which one's I have to save on dupilcate CD and DVD's.

  I use the current version of Total Recorder for general recording and scheduled recording, I have Cool Edit 2000. I use Nero DVD software for backing up my files.

  Well this is my approach.....

  Thanks

Brett Saylor <bds2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  The discussion of conversion of tapes to digital leads me to ask how
people name and store their digital audio files... when I first started
cataloging recordings on the computer, I named the files starting with
call letters, city, state, then frequency, time (in UTC) and date. Over
the years I've changed to naming the files starting with the frequency,
making it easier to sort. Since I have many gigabytes of files, I have
a folder for each AM frequency on my hard drive (and one for long wave)
e.g. 530, 540, etc. up to 1710. I create folders for the TA splits as I
need them. When I use Total Recorder to record TOH ID's I'll add the
frequency, call, city and state by hand to the file name as I review them.

Also, how do people back up their files? I burn a set of DVDs about once
a year and take them to my office to keep them off-site in case a
disaster happened at my house. I also have an external hard drive that I
copy the files to once every few months.

Just curious what others do,

Brett Saylor

James Niven