Re: [IRCA] Deed Restrictions and DXing

Hi Les,

You might try a K9AY antenna with low, rectangular wire loops that meet at a
corner fence post. The head unit (relays, etc.) mounts right at the fence
post. This unorthodox arrangement worked well for me at a former QTH, before
I could erect the antenna in the standard "X" (crossed loops) configuration.

My loops in this setup were 6 foot high (1 foot off the ground) by 30 feet
long (I think...they may have been longer). Directionality, nulling, and
sensitivity were good, although I have no idea how badly the reception
pattern was skewed by having the feedpoint in the center of the short
vertical legs (at the fence post). There is some evidence (although I can't
remember where I read it) that a low, but long K9AY loop can have somewhat
better sensitivity.

A search in the K9AY Yahoogroup archives should reveal further details on
this "fence K9AY" arrangement, as I made a few postings there and elsewhere
about it.

Good luck with the antenna setup at the new home!

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Message: 4