[IRCA] New MW QSL (wahoo!)

I had just about given up getting any QSLs from my TP season this
fall. Despite the really excellent Fall TP Season, I only heard six
totally new ones.  I sent out a dozen reports during October and
early November, with the other six being new reports going to
stations that I'd reported previously, one or more times and not
received a reply.

Anyway, its been almost 6 weeks since I sent out the last of that
dozen and I've gotten ZERO returns....... until today.  Today's mail
brought me a beautiful envelope from Al Kirton, General Manager of
4KZ, 531 kHz. in Innisfail, Queensland. John Wright had told us that
Al was a former DXer and all around good guy, and he had already
QSLed Patrick Martin who heard them during the same couple of days of
Auroral conditions that I did. Patrick heard them better than I did,
with a nice ID, etc. I got what I was "certain" was them over and
under what I was "even more certain" was 2PM.... This as a Saturday
night and 2PM, as part of the 2SM Network runs country music....
which is what the dominant station was playing prior to the hour.

Since the durn signals did the all too common Top of the Hour Fade, I
heard neither ID, though I did hear time pips and both went into
news..... So, I sent Al Kirton at 4KZ and the folks at 2PM both
tentative reports with CDs of the entire 30 minute catch and a short
clip at the TOH.  Al sent a very nice QSL card and included a note:

"Hi John, I was able to make out our News theme after the hourly time
pips - (Under ABC station 6DL in Western Australia!) Best Wishes, Al Kirton"

Hooeeee, HOT DOG and YAHOO!!!!! As far as I know, only a few of us
have ever heard a 6-call (Western Australia) from Grayland.... and
that on only one occasion, June 20th, 1997, when several of us heard
6WF in Perth, just barely, by paralleling it with other major ABC
stations much more easily heard. Jean Burnell of Cappyhadden fame was
there with us and was actually the first to spot that beauty.

I'm a bit upset with myself to have so heavily assumed that the C&W
music was coming from 2PM and the time pips.... I'll bet that they
were the regular ABC time pips and I just was too busy assuming
things..... DURN IT! I've heard the ABC time pips somewhere near 1000
times, counting all of my life-long listening to Radio Australia on
SW..... Well, I owe Al Kirton quite a thank you......... not only for
the lovely QSL and stickers, but for IDing his co-channel
QRM.  Believe you me, I'll be sending a report to 6DL, Dalwallinu,
Western Australia in the next 36 hours.

I sent a couple of American station stickers in my reception report
to Al K.  He thanked me, returned the favor and indicated that he
collects station stickers.  II'm gonna send him some more.  He darn
well made my season for me!

One grateful DXer
John Bryant