Re: [IRCA] Air America

Personally, I can do without Lionel, (too much celebrity talk I can hear
elsewhere, and which I'd prefer not to hear anywhere.)
But the original Air America plan to broker the 24-hour-a-day format on
big-city affiliates, (most of them owned by Multicultural), was a ghastly
mistake that almost doomed the network from its inception.
It's a miracle they even got past that first month or so. It's also
expensive to hire celebrities to do talk. Good for press buzz, but costly.
Another important factor to consider is that the stations most likely to air
an entirely new network 24/7 are ones with failing formats or weak signals.
They've had a lot to overcome in their two-and-a-half-year history.
On the plus side, AA and Ed Schultz have made liberal talk radio more
marketable.
There are many excellent liberal hosts now that have stronger shows and are
syndicated in more cities due to the number of Air America affiliaites that
also look elsewhere for other programming.
--Rick