Re: [IRCA] Daves' HQ 180

I wonder if they have outboard noise blankers these days like in the modern receivers? My new location is extremely noisy but it is flourescent buzzzz from my own building, I have to phase it out especially below 580 khz for some reason which of course ruins any attempts at phasing out strong locals down there. I agree the noise suppression in these old receivers leaves something to be desired, I very rarely even use it, the noise suppression on the 180's is better than the suppression on SP-600's though. My buzz situation improved greatly when I made a good outdoor ground.

Bob Young

From: mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx (Patrick Martin)
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Daves' HQ 180
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:55:13 -0700

Bob,

I did sell my SP 600 to Ralph Sanserino some years back. I had little
choice living next to an electric fence. Unfortunately the old tube
receivers never had noise blankers, so the clicking would drive you
nuts. The noise blankers in the R8, SPR4, and even the R 1000 do a great
job on taking out the noise 99%. If it wasn't for that I would still
have my old SP 600. I bought it back in the early 80s from DXer Hank
Wilkinson from Santa Rosa CA, where he heard and QSL'd Singapore on 792
khz. A great receiver.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin