Re: [IRCA] FANTASTIC MORNING or have I moved to Asia?

Patrick Martin wrote:

> Well, the dial this morning reminded me of DX 20 years ago hearing so
> many Northern Asians. It was something else.

The idea you mentioned about conditions 20 years ago has me thinking.
I've never personally experienced conditions like you describe, so I
can't correlate any historical data based on my own experience.

The 20 years ago conditions you mentioned got me thinking...

Most people know about the 11-year sunspot cycle (well 11-year average
anyway), but there is also another cycle at work on the sun. The sun's
magnetic poles shift every 11-years with solar cycle changes. In fact,
this was mentioned briefly earlier this month (I think it was) when a
reverse polarized sunspot appeared for the first time.

You could compare reception conditions in general with other solar cycle
minimums, but I wonder if there might be something else at work, too.
The sun's magnetic poles would be in the same polarization (N and S
orientation) now during this approaching (or maybe already here) solar
minimum as they were about 20 years ago.

So is there something at work enhancing reception that has to do not
only with solar minimums, but also the magnetic field polarity of the
sun as well?

This is probably just the wild unsubstantiated caffeine induced
theoretical ramblings of a guy with too many cups of coffee under his
belt today, but I thought I'd mention it and see if anyone thought I was
completely off my rocker or not.

Rick Kunath