Re: [IRCA] RFI versus QRM and TVI too!

Bob,

I'm dead serious over trying to help you solve your line-noise problem. And
don't talk down PG&E so much. They are as sharp as our Progress
Energy/Carolina Power & Light, but they are up there. And I do have an "in"
with them.

Old and worn-out doesn't mean anything. There are very few moving parts in
an electrical system. Switches, as in circuit breakers, operate quickly and
smartly, and have to be well maintained. Disconnect switches are only opened
under no-power situations, and lock closed tightly. If one arcs, it'll weld
itself shut or turn into a real doozie of a fire.

Actually, developments in the power industry are toward less RFI, believe it
or not. Not many operating commands go over power systems because Internet
and satellite are better. Dead-end insulators on distribution and
transmission systems have no mechanical joints with the new polymer plastic
single units, and THEY don't care 'bout no rain or snow or bullets nor
nothin'.

Using a portable and going up in frequency as the RFI becomes stronger helps
locate a source of RFI. If it's on the low side of the "pole pig"
(120/240V), it serves 4-5 customers and you can chase it into houses. If on
the high side (likely 12.0 kV in your case), it'll vary up and down as the
wavelength of the RFI center frequency, but as you approach the source it'll
be audible up to 30 MHz and even into the FM band.

Go try some of these techniques, or are you just half-heartedly mumbling to
yourself?

73 de Charlie

Charles & Leonor Taylor
Grifton, North Carolina