Re: [IRCA] [am] Ignition Noise

Thanks. I'll share this with my mechanic. However, it sounds as though I just need to drive it up there to you and let you have a crack at it. Or...you could come down here...

Bert New
Watkinsville, Georgia
Proudly Serving You Since 1964!

     The noise on my car radio has become unbearable as of late. Any
advice
on a filter I could get someone to install without losing any reception
ability? I'm able to DX for about an hour each day during my commute and I
don't want to lose that. However, I just can't stand the noise anymore.

If it has increased, you may need new plugs and ignition wires.  Is it worse
in wet weather?  Is it affected by bumps in the road?

One thing that will definitely help is to put a new antenna as far back on
the car as you can get it.  Even a rear bumper mount.  Use a good coax cable
to connect it, or at least a new auto radio cable.  Distance from the engine
really helps.  That is the single best change I have ever made on a number
of cars and trucks.

I spend a large amount of time behind the wheel.  Long enough for me to have
installed a Palstar R30CC receiver in my truck.  Makes a big difference over
the Blaupunkt radio, which is a very good receiver itself.  I have an
antenna switch, and can choose between a 68" roof mounted whip, or either of
two copper tube loops mounted at 90° to each other.  The loops are much
quieter noise-wise than the whip.  It would be very hard to fit one to a
car.  I can, because my 1988 K5 Blazer has a fiberglass cover over the back
which does not block signals like a metal roof would.

I have also found that adding ground leads from engine to chassis, hood to
body, and exhaust system to engine and transmission help.  The filters that
Rsdio Shack sell for the radio power lead are of minimal help.  Still,
everything is cumulative.

When all else fails, buy an older diesel VW Rabbit.  I had one for a short
time maybe 15 years ago, and it was a great DX car.  No spark plugs.  I'm
currently searching for a good Cummins 4BT diesel engine to retrofit into my
Blazer.  Both for fuel economy and noise elimination.  The diesel will only
leave the alternator and wipers as bothersome noise sources.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI