Re: [IRCA] WestList in PDF

> > This is a limitation of the FCC database.
>

> *** The FCC data is historically somewhat suspect as to both accuracy
> and currency. It is better than it was when they first were online, but
> there are limitations. Their info for countries other than the US can
> be really bad.

Yes, though unless there is a specific country list done, this may be the
only game in town.  There are Mexican and Brazilian lists, but few other
South and Central American lists.  This is why I'm in the early stages of
making a database system to augment and correct the FCC info.  Whichever way
I go, it will still be free.

> As to the 530 Canadians, remember that Canada loves to keep listing
> long-deactivated stations. It's their way of asserting their possession
> of the allocation and right to protection.

Yes.  The 550 allocation in New Brunswick is one of many.  I have often
wondered if the Canadians would consider renting or leasing that allocation.
For example, my client WDDZ-550 has to protect the New Brunswick station,
even thought it's been silent for many years.  If they could rent that
allocation and increase power that way, it would be a win-win deal.  The
Canadians get some money, and WDDZ gets increased coverage, likely in the
form of an STA that is valid for the term of the lease.  If the lease
expires, then WDDZ would have to go back to it's normal licensed pattern.
I'd think that this could be done, if someone were creative and had some
political connections (and money) to make this happen.  Not that WDDZ
specifically would bother, but there must be some stations that would.
Right now 550 is just a wasted resource where the New Brunswick station was.

Maybe if our Canadian candidate for office wins, he can look into this.  I
really don't see a downside anywhere.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI