Re: [IRCA] TA on the west coast

>The late Roy H. Millar in Western Washington ... first Issaquah, then
Everett ... had some success with TAs. >Back when I did a 5-minute MWDX
weekly tape for Radio New York World Wide, one of the highlights was a
>piece of audio Roy taped from Estonia (IIRC) on 1034.
>
>John Callarman, Krum TX

I am quite sure that it was, in fact Tallinn 1034 to which
you refer.

Another of Roy's loggings that I recall reading in DX News
was Beirut on (then) 836. I am fairly certain that GPN
believed these loggings to be auroral doughnut-hole.
I think Roy had loggings of Egypt as well. These were
unusual logs, even for him, and were not by any means
common.

I have all the IDXD pages from 1958 through the mid
sixties, so with some research could probably find
more detail on what he heard.

What is telling is the difference between what was
heard in 1964 by GPN and others in the northeast,
vs. what was heard in just the adjacent years. The
sunspot count can vary from less than 10, to maybe
25, from one year to the next, and this seems to be
important for favorable long range skip possibilities.
GPN would have said "necessary, but not sufficient".

The reports from the west coast of TP's already being
heard in July would indicate that this may happen again
this year. Sept. and Oct. should be carefully watched
as this will be peak opportunity.

Ric Heald DXed from Venetie, AK (near the arctic circle)
with a Lafayette table top all-band rx and said that
during the winter (very low southern sun) that during
the daytime, such as it was, he could hear Europe and
North Africa/middle east without much difficulty, when
auroral cx were quiet. He was a semi-regular listener
to Luxembourg 1439  "208 your station of the stars"
(as was I in 1965 but I was in Germany then....). His
choices were basically DX, or a weak KFAR. (Ric
also DXed from Sitka as well where he heard many
Aust/NZ stations).

This is supposed to be _the_ year for good LF long-range
reception, as was 1964, 1986 etc. With the combination of
several unfavorable long term trends, i.e. big MW stations
going silent in favor of FM, risk of night time IBOC,
increased noise floor from solid state electronics, this
may be the last time in our lifetimes to try and duplicate
some of these exceptional MW loggings.

Gentlemen and Ladies, start your receivers !!

- Bob