Re: [IRCA] KTRB Farewell to Modesto

         I was born and raised in Modesto (home of former station
KTRB), and recall it being an all-around community station (at least
until 1972 when I joined the Navy. They served a varied community of
listeners from Sacramento to Fresno to the Los Banos area (very high
population of Portuguese) to the Sierra Nevada region. When those of
us in the hobby mention formats we prefer, frequently it's mentioned
that a format that serves the community is desirable. That was KTRB.

         My last time in Modesto, 1997, I checked out the band, and
noted that the KTRB which I grew up with no longer existed. Although
understandable in today's communication market, it was sad to see an
integral part of the community gone.

         If anyone in the Modesto area is interested in the history
of KTRB, try and locate Cal Purviance. He's retired from the station,
but is probably the last person who knows the true history of KTRB. I
should have a better knowledge of the station's history, as my
cousin, Milt Hibdon (dec), worked there for years.

         Very 73 de Mike