Re: [IRCA] KTRB Farewell to Modesto

I moved out of the San Joaquin Valley last fall, and I was always scrambling whenever I heard (what was then) KVBE if I remember the calls correctly.  They called themselves "The Vibe".  They were pretty hard to get in Tracy, though they came in much better 20 miles south.  Colusa was always the station on 107.5.

KTRB had been running promos for a radio history museum in Modesto, and claiming they were the first AM station in Modesto.  I guess if you count only survivors, that would be true.  They never did their homework well enough to know of the two stations in Modesto that preceded them.  Way back when, they were on 740 KHz.  I believe their move to 860 was coupled with KQW's move from 1010 to 740.

I sincerely hope that KTRB does more to establish a presence in San Francisco than what they dwindled to in Modesto.  They were once a well known and well respected station.

Mike

Richard Toebe <rtoebe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Scott,

KTRB signed off at 9, complete with Star Spangled Banner. After I sent the
last post, I went looking for my old cassette-radio combo and a cassette--I
taped the last 20 minutes or so. I'll see if I can convert it to an MP3
format or similar.

I didn't keep up with the change to KMPH on FM 107.5; I hear KQPT in Colusa,
which serves Chico. Thanks for the update. KTRB has also been running the
audio for KMPH Fox 26 News at 10.

One night last week I was listening to KTRB (Joey Reynolds show) while half
asleep, so my memory may be faulty, but an announcement about the coming
changes said that KMPH-840 would be signing on mid-July. I don't recall
anything about when KTRB San Francisco would sign on.

Rich Toebe
Vacaville CA