Re: [IRCA] eskip -- was -- logging - 870 KJMP CO in OR

Re: [IRCA] eskip -- was -- logging - 870 KJMP CO in OR

Willis,

You gotta keep reflecting on the good old days so me and Kaskey can overtake you on the contest!  You have an advantage being able to get stations from all directions, while we have nothing available to the west.

I'm surprised to hear that Es got as high as channel 13.  It seems like little of what gets to channel 2 or 3 ever makes it to FM, and even channel 7 is above FM.  As I said on Patrick's earlier email.....drool!

Mike Hawkins

texas4421 <texas4421@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The best E Skip I ever had was in the Summer of 77-78 while living in
> > Portland area. The whole Summer was jammed with E Skip

I have to weight in on this thread. The very best E's I have ever had, or
seen, was the summer and winter of 1957.

I logged every possible state you could on channel 2,3,4,5,6. Logged
California (KNXT-2), Nevada (KORK-2), plus into Maine and Mass. Trops was
also great, I had WLWI-13 from Indianapolis, IN. Plus KGUL-11 Galveston, TX;
KTRK-13 Houston, TX; KSLA-12 Shreveport, LA. everyday just like locals.

Also lots of Mexico, Cuba, Canada (All provices from Alberta to Quebec),
Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Venezuela.

All this was done on a two bay VHF TV antenna at 40'; a Zenith all tube B&W
TV and the QTH was south Dallas county, Texas.

1957 was the year of the big sun spots and really bad weather all across
America. Gasoline was 20 cents a gallon (and oil companies were making
millions) a 3 muskateer candy bay was a nickel as were cokes, phone calls
and a cup of coffee. Postage was just 3 cents, and we had better service
than too day. What a bargain!

Bring back the good ole days!!!

Willis, K4APE
Old Fort, TN

Yahoo! Travel
Find great deals to the top 10 hottest destinations!