Re: [IRCA] Wobbler everywhere tonight!

Steve,

Let me take the occasion of your message to make what I hope are some
clarifying comments for everyone.

The reach is truly amazing of the 1100kHz Radio Cadena Habana, Havana,
Cuba, Wobbler.  I'll have to check all the reports I saw to determine if a
new distance record has been established, but you're probably right that
Deane McIntyre in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, will likely take the prize.

Rather than a massive signal as it might seem, as far as I know the power
of the station producing the 1100kHz Wobbler is only moderate.  WRTH
reports it as 1kW.  That may be low, but based on my daytime reception of
R.Cadena Habana on 1100kHz -- which includes the same Wobbler as at night
-- the signal is barely detectable and consistent with a moderately powered
station near Havana, Cuba, as heard on ground wave from my location on the
opposite, east coast of Florida.

The ability of the Wobbler to reach such distances is the magic of sky wave
propagation and a carrier that is wildly swinging across other stations on
1100, producing a siren-like beat note.  The Wobbler is effective just as
is a CW signal.  Those people who report TA and TP carriers with no audio
are hearing the same thing as the Wobbler, but without the added affect of
the fluctuating carrier frequency.  Sweep tones during DX tests can be
heard when nothing else is, and they are just sweeping audio, not the
underlying carrier.

The issue of DFing was thought relevant when the Wobbler was first
heard.  I and others have DFed the Wobbler, but when dealing with the
extreme carrier fluctuation and nighttime sky wave propagation, it produces
less than optimal results.  Daytime results point squarely at Cuba, even at
specific transmitter locations.  However, after a year of hearing it every
single day, during the day, on a number of easily identified Cuban
stations-- a daily log appears on the Wobbler web site --  there is no
longer a need to DF, at least not to narrow down the origin as Cuba.  There
is no doubt it is coming from Cuba.  The precise location of some Cuban MW
transmitters may not be well established, but that they are in Cuba is
certain.  Florida DXers frequently DF Cuban MW stations -- including on
ocean excursions and trips to locations like the Bahamas -- to determine
their likely locations, especially when it seems a different station is
coming up on a particular channel.  From where most Cuba signals originate
are fairly well known, and that those same stations produce the Wobblers is
also a matter of frequent observation.

What produces the Wobbler and what the cause is, are still open to
considerable conjecture.  Some suggested possibilities have been
investigated or considered -- such as jamming, for example -- and been
eliminated, at least to my satisfaction.  Based on what information is
available about Cuban transmitters and the country's beleaguered power
system as reported in the press, and after eliminating those less likely
possibilities, I have satisfied myself the Wobbler is probably the result
of malfunctioning old and poorly maintained transmitters suffering the
added burden of an unreliable power source.  Just how this all comes
together to result in a Wobbler is yet a technical mystery to be unraveled.

More on all this can be read about on the Wobbler web site, link in my
signature, below.

Again today at just before noon-time here in Florida, the Wobbler on
1100kHz Radio Cadena Habana, was being heard.  Just as vigorous as the past
three days, but as I say, of such a weak signal with just ground wave, that
it was only with considerable effort that I could detect it at all.  As the
evening comes, so too I suspect, will the howling banshee from the
Caribbean.  Unless, of course, they fix it or it breaks entirely.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) FL