From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of J.D. Stephens
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 9:32 AM
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [IRCA] Sync Detection Question

I have noticed during my recent chase for
Trans-Atlantic Mediumwave stations, that when I use
the Synchronous Detector on my Drake R-8, instead of
enhancing the intelligibility of the transmissions, it
has the opposite effect.

Case in point:  during the recent appearances of
Norway-1314 here at my QTH is North Alabama, when I
engaged the Sync Detector, instead of helping to bring
the signal up from the noise floor & adjacent channel
interference, it eliminated most (and sometimes all)
of the audio - leaving pretty much only the strong
carrier.  When I disengaged the Sync Detector, the
audio was clearly intelligible - although I had to
deal with the heavy QRM from stations on either side.

Obviously, hearing Norway without using this feature
on my receiver is possible - no doubt due to its very
high transmitter power.  But, for the less powerful TA
stations/signals I am trying for on Mediumwave, I am
concerned about Sync Detector's  detrimental effect on
the audio.

Does anyone have a tip on how to better use Sync
Detector when chasing TA mediumwave stations?  Am I
doing something wrong?

Any help would be most appreciated.

73,

J.D. Stephens