Re: [IRCA] Sync Detection Question

On Monday 16 January 2006 02:29 pm, Neil Kazaross wrote:
> The R8 series would be better with a filter in between 4 and 2.3 Khz I am
> finding out. 4 KHz is too wide for most TA's here in IL, but 2.3 Khz
> sacrificed audio intelligibility.

I've got 3.2 and 3.6 KHz filters in my AR-7030-Plus. And, you're right, these
filter widths make a big difference. Below that is a 2 KHz filter and above
are 4.5, 5, and 9 KHz filters.

The 3,2 and 3.6 KHz filters are (and I don't remember which is which off the
top of my head) a ceramic and a Collins mechanical filter. I had originally
picked them up intending to select the best one and replace the other one
with a 1 KHz data filter I have. But as it turned out, the audio sound from
these two filters is different enough that I kept both. Sometimes switching
from one to the other makes a marked difference in audio sound. One seems to
be flatter and more open sounding, the other crisper. At times going from one
to the other shows a startling difference in intelligibility. So I kept them
both. The same is true of the 4.5 and 5 KHz filter pair, but these are used
lots less often.

The differing filter widths are because the 7030 actually measures the filters
and orders them according to the passband width it comes up with. So no two
filters are exactly alike.

As others have said, the AR-7030-Plus is my big-gun here. It outperforms all
of my other receivers on weak signals.

Rick Kunath