Re: [IRCA] I guess my new loop is working

Re: [IRCA] I guess my new loop is working

Dear Russ,

Thanks for the advice.  Lots more tinkering to do in the lab.

--John

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- John Cereghin wrote:

> Ack! Questions!!! :)
>
> 1. 15 turns.
> 2. Indirect coupling. Using the ferrite rods in my portables. I
> have yet to try a direct hook-up to my FRG7 or my DX150B. That's
> next.
> 3. I have a ceremaic capacitor (salvaged from a crystal radio set)
> and a 1-gang and a 2-gang air capacitors. I'm experimenting with
> all three right now but currently have the ceremaic capacitor hooked
> up.

Sounds to me as if you ought to wire in the ceramic across the
terminals you're connecting to on the variable ( whichever of those
works better ). Normally, a failure to tune the low end of the band
inidicates a need for more capacitance; inability to tune the top
usually means not enough turns.

You'll need one variable with or without the ceramic as needed, to be
able to tune the loop.

I asked about how you were coupling to try to see if there might be an
issue there, but since you're using proximity coupling n o problems there.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20ID