Re: [IRCA] WTOP change

I heard of the WTOP switch this afternoon while actually listening to WTOP which puts a good signal into the central Delmarva on 1500.  Personally, I think shifting the current WTOP programming off of 1500 to FM is a mistake.  WTOP is a local institution in DC and you don't mess with an institution. Imagine shifting KYW to FM!  And the proposed NPR-lite that is going to be put on 1500 on March 31 sounds like a real snoozer.  DC locals are not exactly supportive of the Post  to begin with as it is losing readership in its print edition for years.  If DC locals are not wanting to read the Post, what makes Bonneville think people will want to listen to it?  Listen to Post reporters drone on for 20 minutes on Iraq or abortion or social security?  That might fly on the low-end of the FM band but not on a 50kw AM blowtorch.

For all-news outlets in the Mid-Atlantic, we have the New York and Philadelphia outlets.  Baltimore does not have an all-news outlet as WBAL and WCBM are talk stations.  Delaware has only graveyarder WILM on 1450 with a news format as WDEL and WDOV are talk.  The loss of a 50kw WTOP from AM will create a gap for all-news stations in this part of the Mid-Atlantic.

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE