Re: [IRCA] WWNN breaking the rules.

It was my reading of Craig's comments that he found HD coverage less than the analog signal.  This would seem to me to be counter to your assertions?  And my point is exactly that with few exceptions, only people who advocate HD, have radios with which to make coverage claims.

That some radio technician can drive a car with HD radio beyond some limit declared inadequate for analog, and find a listenable HD signal, is still advocates reporting what they want to have reported.

Craig's results are the only ones I've seen from a disinterested party, and he reported just the opposite of what you would have people believe.

If HD is so good, why aren't promotional radios being offered to random parties so they can sing the praises of the system?

When only the salesmen are telling the good news, I am suspicious.  And by salesmen, I include those who have already blown big bucks on a product and don't want to be made to look the fool.

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (Southeast) Florida

David Gleason wrote:

The only people much interested in the subject at this point are the people who are actively installing HD systems. They have the receivers and can do the tests, as Craig’s differing results shows.

I will give you the results on KTNQ in LA. KTNQ is unlistenable outside about its 15 mv/m daytime contour due to noise (same applies to all LA stations). We get no diary returns now or in the last 10 years from outside this contour or from people who live outside but listen at work ZIP codes that are in the contour. The HD signal is usable in car radios beyond the KTNQ 15, so the coverage on HD devices is likely to have greater potential due to greater effective coverage.

I understand that Tom Ray’s experience in NY is very similar. And other AM operators I have spoken with, including engineers, agree that the HD signal is more robust than originally suspected to be.

In the case of KTNQ, we are talking about a roughly $50 to $60 million dollar facility. No one endangers such lightly. And this is just one of the several thousand stations that have committed to HD in a half dozen countries… with hundreds already on the air. I think the fact that Intel has taken a significant investment position is indicative of the kind of momentum the system is gathering.

David.