Re: [IRCA] WWNN breaking the rules.

--- David Gleason <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The only people much interested in the subject at
> this point are the people
> who are actively installing HD systems. They have
> the receivers and can do
> the tests, as Craig's differing results shows.

Rich Wood got a Kenwood HD on loan from Michael
Bergman of Kenwood and gives similar range results as
Craig. He gave a VERY unflattering report of the audio
on both AM and FM HD.

> I will give you the results on KTNQ in LA. KTNQ is
> unlistenable outside
> about its 15 mv/m daytime contour due to noise (same
> applies to all LA
> stations). We get no diary returns now or in the
> last 10 years from outside
> this contour or from people who live outside but
> listen at work ZIP codes
> that are in the contour. The HD signal is usable in
> car radios beyond the
> KTNQ 15, so the coverage on HD devices is likely to
> have greater potential
> due to greater effective coverage.

If interference is that bad I'd be screaming at the
FCC and my elected national  officials to get that
noise abated. [ Like what good it would do, but I'd
make them feel like they were walking barefoot on a
wide open hotplate]

> I understand that Tom Ray's experience in NY is very
> similar. And other AM
> operators I have spoken with, including engineers,
> agree that the HD signal
> is more robust than originally suspected to be.

The CC ones I know don't think so.

> In the case of KTNQ, we are talking about a roughly
> $50 to $60 million
> dollar facility. No one endangers such lightly. And
> this is just one of the
> several thousand stations that have committed to HD
> in a half dozen
> countries. with hundreds already on the air. I think
> the fact that Intel has
> taken a significant investment position is
> indicative of the kind of
> momentum the system is gathering.
>
> David.

The money Intel tossed in was pocket change for them.

I measured all the AM's at my location. WVOC 560 and
WISW 1320 put in strength around 30 mv/m days with
WISW being stronger ONLY because they are about 3
miles and WVOC 6 miles. At night I'm not so lucky.
WISW might do maybe 10 mv/m and WVOC 12. I need to
borrow a FIM to do a check. The only AM that did well
on skywave was WLAC. I've seen their signal that
probably was above any daytime signal I get here.

If what I am hearing from folks I may not have ANY AM
band HD decoding at night, then.

WLAC and WCKY are going to have SERIOUS nighttime
decoding failures in hybrid mode. Their second
adjacent IBOC interference was amazing in the COL's.
And since their HD signals with be atop each other, I
expect only core mode very close in. UGH.

Powell

w4opw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NNNN!