Re: [IRCA] WWNN breaking the rules.

Very interesting. So if US stations go IBOC 24/;7 the possibility of TA DX is not lost after all hi! Thank you for the feed back which I will pass on to the MWC UK list.
Barry

"W. Curt Deegan" <WWWR@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Barry,

I monitored WWNN until about 0130est last night.  They never dropped IBOC and definitely were on day power.  I determined that today when I could see there was no difference from last night.

It is interesting you found no IBOC signal.  I don't think anyone has any idea what will happen with the skywave component of the IBOC sidebands.  That was my reason for posting the WWNN screw up last night, thinking maybe someone might hear something.  Since there are virtually no HD radios, I didn't expect anyone to actually be able to try to listen, but hearing the IBOC hiss interfering with adjacent channels on skywave would have been an interesting event.

As my tests show -- link below in signature --  the IBOC sidebands drop off very fast compared to the analog part of the hybrid signal when looking at ground wave with antennas of varying gain.  Others have reported a similar rapid drop off of the IBOC sidebands with increasing distance, more so that the analog component of the signal.

This would seem to indicate a usable HD ground wave signal will cover less of a range than a normal analog signal.  It remains to be determined what happens to the skywave and what if any damage it will do without the hope of actually reaching any potential audience.

Curt.
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (Southeast) Florida
http://ScooterHound.com/WWWR/radio/sefliboc.html

BARRY DAVIES wrote:
Coming in at fair levels without IBOC around 0100 EST. May be still on full power as WLAM Lewiston ME usually occupies 1470 on this side of the pond
Barry

"W. Curt Deegan" <WWWR@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
With local sunset at 1730est, I think it's safe to say that at 2000,
WWNN 1470 Pompano Beach, FL, is breaking the rules by still running
IBOC. From what I can tell, close to me as they are, they may still be
on day power -- 50kW vs 2.5kW -- as well.

Anyone what to try for nighttime IBOC skip?

Curt

--

W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (Southeast) Florida
[Ten-Tec RX-320D; LF Engineering H-800 & M-601; GAP DSP]
http://ScooterHound.com/WWWR/radio/sefliboc.html