From: James Renfrew <jim.renfrew@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Mar 22, 2017 9:04 am
Subject: Re: [IRCA] philosophy of logging a new one

A carrier or weak audio may likely be a particular station, and if I have
previously logged it with IDable material I may presume that it's what I've
previously heard.  So that's not claiming a new station, just reporting on
reception conditions.  You could argue that a distinct known offset, like
774.005, might be enough to determine the source of a carrier, but I
wouldn't (even if I could measure that precisely).  Also, offsets can
change, sometimes on a daily basis. But some have had big offsets like
Libya 1053 and Albania 1395 and it's pretty clear what those signals might
be, but, again, I wouldn't report them as new loggings unless there was
something IDable.  Libya, for example, was heard around 2010 on a big
offset, but it was only when I heard its Big Ben-style bells that I logged
it.  Jim Renfrew, Holley NY

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Stan Horzepa <stanzepa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I have been chasing DX for almost 50 years.
>
> In ham radio, when I exchange signal reports with a DX station, I enter
> the station in the log.
>
> With one-way DX'ing (LW, MW, FM, TV, etc.), when I hear (or see) the call
> sign of the DX station, I enter the station in the log.
>
> But what about all those LW and MW carriers I see reported here on almost
> a daily basis. Do you log them as new stations even though you can not
> positively identify them?
>
> For example, last week I heard carriers on 549, 684, 693, 855 and 1215,
> but there was no discernible audio to help identify those stations. 1215
> was probably Absolute Radio, but do I log it as a new station?
>
> What is the general philosophy about logging carriers?
>
> FWIW, I have not logged them as new stations. Am I being too conservative?
>
> Stan, WA1LOU
> Wolcott, CT

--- End Message ---