Re: [IRCA] propagation monitoring

On Sep 18, 2005, at 10:13 AM, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:

> At 00:28 18/09/2005, you wrote:
>

>> What technique are you using to monitor propagation?
>>
>> An audio spectrum display centered on the channel graphing
>> carriers and
>> saving screenshots? Or something else?
>>

> The system was originally described in DX Monitor's technical
> column about
> 7 or 8 years ago, is available as one of  Lee Freshwater's fine CD
> of  IRCA
> reprints, but a quick peek can be found at
> http://www3.telus.net/7dxr/333/333descr.html   It is capable of
> monitoring
> over 100 channels at a time, though the sample rate slips somewhat
> with
> many channels.  I'm presently just looking at 612 and 1548
> (representative
> DU channels)  594 and 1566 (representative Asiatic channels) and
> 1314 in
> case the big Norwegian ever shows its nose above the splatter
>
> Although the DR333 is still in use, my present monitoring system uses
> a  modified NRD525 to do the heavy lifting.
>
> best wishes,
>
> Nick

For frequency management -- mostly shortwave -- at IBB we use
'bandscans' produced by remote monitoring systems [RMS] located in ~
65 locations worldwide.

We CAN do MW/AM bandscans and one I did awhile back to show what IBOC
'looks' like compared with a traditional DSB AM station can be viewed
here:

<http://shortwaveradio.org/> [the top graph]

While we're usually interested in a RANGE of frequencies in a given
band, we can specify the begin and end frequency to be the same and
effectively get a chronological 'strip chart' of a single freq.

You can learn more about the RMS network and how we use it here:

<http://monitor.ibb.gov/rms/>

If anybody has ideas on how to use it for MW/AM 'research' that would
benefit the whole hobby, I have no problem scripting in some useful
stuff.

bw

---

Bill Whitacre