Re: [IRCA] My Loop Antenna is complete...

Re: [IRCA] My Loop Antenna is complete...

I was motivated to build the same loop from the URL, and got it finished and
tested today. My results were even worse than Bert's. It's just far too
small a loop to directly connect to a radio. It needs to be amplified. After
looking at the various Reprint article loops, and the Technical Guide loops,
this became clear. All of those small loops are amplified. I may build an
amp for this loop and try it again, but mostly I wanted to try this loop for
myself, as specified in the article.
But the neat thing was the loop was almost exactly the correct inductance to
use with the standard 365 pF tuning capacitor. Mine measured 270
microhenries (I used #18 gauge enamel wire, spaced 5/16" between turns).
That will cover 530-1700 kHz with the tuning capacitor, perfectly.
The loop is very sharp-tuning, but as Bert says, signals are way down in
level, and any decent outdoor antenna will far outperform it, in its
unamplified state. I'm surprised the author of the original article gave
such glowing reports of his results with this small unamplified loop. I
would call that article as very misleading! As someone on the list pointed
out, one needs to build a much larger loop to get decent results, unless you
build an amplifier for the loop.
Steve