Date: 06/22/05 15:29:49
To: WWWR
Subject: Re: WSBR 740 IBOC

On 20 Jun 2005 at 20:58, WWWR wrote:

> A couple weeks ago I reported that local WSBR 740 had turned off their IBOC.
>  Also off was IBOC on two sister stations, WHSR 980 and WWNN 1470, both are
> local but somewhat farther from me.
>
> Today WSBR resumed IBOC broadcasting.  The other two stations have not.

I expect we will see quite a bit of this on a bit then off then back on
when stations convert to IBOC, especially the directional stations.

The reason is that IBOC doesn't always work well on the first try. Unless
a station's antenna system is very good, very wideband, the digital part
of IBOC may not transmit successfully. When that happens they have to
call in someone who is an expert on antenna systems and retune or modify
their transmission system. The same thing happened in the early days of
AM stereo, although IBOC is more demanding of a station's antenna system
than AMS.

You can expect that nearly all stations that have bought the license from
Ibiquity and invested in the transmitting equipment will be back on with
IBOC in three months or less.

Phil Alexander
Indianapolis