Re: [IRCA] Proving that I have more time than brains.....

Re: [IRCA] Proving that I have more time than brains.....

Hi, Mike,
KKSA-1030 in Folsom was on the air around 1985.
(Weren't they known as The Highway, with some related call like KHWY?)
They then went silent, but came back for awhile around 1988, I think.
I guess I didn't realize the 1590 in McFarland was ever KJAZ, (don't know if they used that on the air.)
I think I have a tape of them testing (probably just an ID) in February 1971, before they officially began broadcasting (they were KXEM then.)
The last time I heard them, they were Spanish, and simulcasting with KSUV, an FM that was covering the Bakersfield market--something the 1590 did poorly.
KMYX's situation was similar.
That 500-watt daytimer on 1310 had been KTKR since the 1950s, and was of little value after their FM came on.
I think they then sold both stations, and in its last days, it was doing personality oldies, but as well as you'd expect from a 500-watt daytimer in a small town near a larger city.
Incidentally, for about 30 years, KTKR was owned by the Mann Broadcasting Company, a mother and son named Jerry and Louise Mann, who operated it out of their home.
If they had something to do, they'd track an album.
If the task was longer than the album side took to play, they'd get back to the record eventually.
I don't know if this was technically legal, but for years, every Sunday they went off at wintertime sunset, year-round.
So even though the signoff time was 8:15 in July and August, on Sunday it would always be 4:45.
That at least lasted into the 70s, probably longer.
--Rick