[IRCA] Re: Fwd: Don Erickson Dies in Fire

[IRCA] Re: Fwd: Don Erickson Dies in Fire

    I knew DEE for years and corresponded with him regularly. The last time
I saw him was in 1984 or 85, prior to transferring from California to North
Carolina. A friend, Dan Sheedy (whom some of you may recall), and I headed
up to Riverside, from San Diego, to visit "Toyland." Like the article
stated, there were stacks and stacks and stacks of radio-related magazines
and DX Club bulletins going back YEARS. I won't swear by it, but he may have
had a near complete collection of RADEX, POPCOM,DX Monitor, DX News, Newark
News Radio Club, and many other magazines/club bulletins. He was happy that
he had complete collections of MANY publications.

    When Dan and I visited Don, he gave us a tour, and either Dan or I
mentioned something about the fire hazard. Don quipped back that he wasn't
worried about a fire as much as a stack of magazines falling on him.

    He worked for a printing company, and later started his own. For a
number of years he was the publisher of the DX Monitor, and I think another
club. Really nice guy, always willing to help anyone.

    Don attended many DX Conventions and traveled there by bus - he never
drove that I know of. He was routinely thrown into a motel swimming pool at
least one DX convention each year. It became a standing joke.

    If anyone has Stewart McKenzie's/ASWLC address, you might let him know
so he can pass it along to members of the ASWLC (if they're still
active) --- he used to help put their monthly bulletin together.

    RIP DEE.    Mike