[IRCA] Re: the Future of DX Tests (Long)

[IRCA] Re: the Future of DX Tests (Long)

Patrick,

I agree with your comment that station operators get farther in getting complaints about other stations resolved than private citizens (us DXers).  I opened a dialog with FCC some time back about a station on 1480 in Concord CA that has been silent since 1990 or so.  They have no special authority given to them, but they change calls and renew licenses on a regular basis.  The FCC guy told me they are on the air or they wouldn't be renewing.  Before he would lift a finger, he wanted me to jump through several hoops providing them with documentation over time.  I told him that it was not even my job to report it to them, as they have staff AND field offices that are supposed to be handling that.  I would imagine that someone in the Bay Area would like to take advantage of an "available" frequency, but they can't do it as it is now.

On the flipside, I was speaking with the CE of another 1480 station who had been getting a few complaints about a Spanish-speaking station on 1480 that was blasting so that anyone further than 30-50 miles from the xmtr could only get the SS station.  He tried a courtesy call to good old KRXR (the SS in question) and they went on the defensive.  A 10-minute MP3 of the SS (including a very clear TOH ID) was provided to the CE, and now KRXR has cut their night power way back.  I don't know if another call was made to them, or to the FCC, but the problem appears to be resolved...through channels...and with constructive help from the listening public.

Mike Hawkins

Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Eric and all,

I have found most Clear Channel stations to be pretty good QSLers. They
have done DX tests in the past and give tours to conventions. Even
though I am not fond of huge companies as a whole, I have had no
troubles getting QSLs out of CC stations. CC in Portland has QSL'd, CC
in Denver has QSL'd, and the list goes on.
But we should all have a good relationship with stations, if we want to
continue with our hobby. As far as a complaint about some station
cheating. Make sure the station is cheating. It is better to contact a
station the cheating station interferes with to complain than go and
contact the FCC directly. Let the interfering station do the work. If
they are getting interference their word means a lot more than a DXers
anyway. If station X calls station Y to complain about QRM, then that
will be between those ! stations. It looks better for the DXer and hey,
lets all to along. We have a lot to gain and much to lose if we don't.

73s,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR