[IRCA] Re: SBE Meeting

Fantastic. Scott is a smart cookie (and a really nice guy).

I want to put in a plug for broadcast station CE's (Chief Engineers) in
general. Back in the good old days each station had its own full time CE who
was expected to keep the station on the air. As the owner bought more
stations in the same market or nearby more often than not the CE was
expected to do the same for the newly acquired station(s). Then came
computer automation. Then came lots of new FCC regulations. The CE was
expected to keep current on them. Then came personal computers. As
technology advanced the CE was expected to keep *everything* running.
Anything that broke (such as plumbing) had to be fixed by you-know-who.

The problem is that broadcast station engineering is very time consuming and
in all but large markets pays relatively poorly. CE's for the big companies
probably make decent money but they are on call 24/7/365. For some people
low pay means why should I bust my butt; I want to put in my time then go
home. The engineers who love radio don't see it that way.

Many of these CE's have more things to do than the time to do them right. I
can see where some of them view DX'ers as pests. Some others tolerate us and
some of them like us.

They're not bad people. They're mostly underpaid for what they do.

End of soapbox speech.