[IRCA] Re: IBOC

> Can anyone on the list tell me if any stations are permitted to run
IBOC at
> night?
>
> At my location here in N.E. MN both 1190 & 1210 are completely
obliterated
> at this time.  [1833 CST].
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul LaFreniere
> Grand Marais, MN

Paul, to the best of my knowledge, (1) the only night IBOC operation
is being done by a STA and (2) the only IBOC user on 1200 is
WCHB Detroit. I've seen reports of WCHB on at night, but I don't know
if this is regular or fully authorized. Is WCHB strong at your location,
or is another 1200 using it?  To further complicate things, I believe
WCHB _may_ be reported as "leaving it turned on" after sunset,
implying being on then by accident.

Probably someone further north will have a better answer. I am in
chilly (sometimes) Fla and haven't found anyone on AM down here
using it, though we have a local on 89.7 doing so.

iBiquity is offering a flat fee licensing scheme starting at $ 5K now
and sliding upwards to $25 K in a few years, designed to get
stations to commit early. This is a not-surprising business
tactic, but would seem to show that acceptance by stations is not
what the bean counters there would like to see happening.

I have to think the struggling mom-and-pop stations have to
be looking at these numbers and wondering what it means
for them.

The fact that places such as Best But are full of HD TV's but no
one there has a clue about HD radios (as far as I've found)
says something as well....

- Bob