RE: [IRCA] LW Help

Thanks for the message. I realize I don't have the ideal LW setup, but still it's fun to listen to what I can hear. And some of the stations do come in quite nicely. I need to learn code so I have an idea what I'm listening to. I'll give these sites a look-see and go from there.

Bert

Hi Bert, There's a webpage maintained for these Transcribed Weather Broadcasts (TWEB) on LF, by Bill Hepburn. http://home.cogeco.ca/~dxinfo/twb.htm There's one on 340 from Georgia, which I would think you'd easily hear; nothing particularly close to you on the freqs you mentioned, unless the 329 one from LA is still on; but you can checkout the list and see for yourself. Your wire antenna would be a poor performer at LF, unless you used a matching transformer, or ran it into the high impedance wire input on your R8B (which has the matching transformer built in from that input); then it would work a lot better at LF.

There's also a Sangean 909/DX398 modifications page at
http://members.verizon.net/~vze20h45/radio/sangean/909mods.html
I've also heard the C.Crane company will also do these mods for you; as
they're the ones who've worked closely with Sangean engineers on their own
C.Crane radio.
Steve