RE: [IRCA] LW Help

Good luck hunting! Most beacons send their CW idents slowly enough that you
can copy down the dots and dashes and decipher it from a Morse code table,
when you're first starting out. And the beacon is nice enough to repeat its
ident over and over, and over and over--no waiting until the TOH for a
callsign!
And if you tune in CW mode with the 500Hz filter, you'll cut out a lot of
adjacent interference. Just remember that the R8 series have a weird display
offset in CW mode--it doesn't show the actual frequency you're tuned to. The
actual frequency is about 600Hz higher than the display shows. E.g., if you
want to receive something in CW mode on 330kc, tune the radio so the display
shows 329.4, then you'll be close enough to hear something on 330, and can
fine tune for the desired pitch.
American beacons use a nominal 1kc offset for the ident, i.e. a beacon on
330 (where the unmodulated carrier is) would have its idents on 329 and 331.
(Of course you can use AM mode and a wider filter for beacon hunting, too,
it's just the wider filter will present several beacon channels, compared to
using the 500Hz filter.)
Canadian beacons use a nominal 400Hz offset, and usually just the upper
sideband is modulated, with no lower sideband present.
This winter time is generally the best time to hear LF signals, with lower
static levels and longer nights for the propagation to bring signals from
farther away.
You may find you enjoy the occasional diversion from AMBC, hunting for LF
beacons.
Steve