[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs May 1-2

** ALBANIA. After its Monday break, R. Tirana at 1300 to NAm on 13750 on May 1
was JBA (just barely audible), not enough signal to combat my neighbor`s TV
swish QRM, and at 1324 recheck not audible at all. One would expect better
results with solar flux grown to 87 from a low of 69 recently, and K-index at
only 1. Clearly there are other factors (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Solar-terrestrial indices for 30 April follow. Solar flux 87 and mid-latitude
A-index 21. The mid-latitude K-index at 1200 UTC on 01 May was 1 (5 nT). The
mid-latitude K-index at 1500 UTC on 01 May was 1 (8 nT). No space weather
storms were observed for the past 24 hours. No space weather storms are
expected for the next 24 hours (SEC via DXLD)

** ALBANIA. R. Tirana, 13750, May 2 at 1300 was too weak to overcome the local
TVI, but when rechecked at 1319 it had improved to a fair signal, during
mailbag (?) segment which was about the theatre in Albania. Now I could hear
the hum on the audio which others with stronger signals have reported (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. It`s a big day in Habana, the 46th anniversary of RHC, and oh yes,
something about workers. RHC was combined with at least half a dozen domestic
networks for live coverage by Ninochka, from Plaza de la Revolución, May 1 at
1331 on 11760 // 11655 and many other frequencies not including 15370. Can`t
let two minutes go by without blathering about Terrorist Posada Carriles, who
ought to be extradited to Cuba, and the five Cuban political prisoners in US
jails; never a word about the great many more Cuban political prisoners in
Cuban jails.

``Cuba --- Último Territorio Esclavo en América --- patria o suerte,
¡pensaremos!`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** FRANCE [non]. May 2 at 1338 I was surprised to come across a strong signal
in French, from RFI on 15795; must be via Guiana French. Surely I would have
noticed it before as I tune around during this time period. News about
electoral crisis in Turkey, RFI ID in passing, but a full minute of open
carrier at 1340:30 to 1341:30 when resumed with music, promos; 1344 time check
for Kinshasa and other cities in Africa; 1357 rappish music, 1400 UT timecheck
and news; by 1410 was playing FX, somewhat distorted techno-reggae music, some
lyrix in English, and at 1419 mentioning Jamaica. 1430 another news break, 1450
still on at recheck, but gone at 1500. What is going on here?

In HFCC we see that RFI planned to use this frequency via GUF only on certain
Thursdays (Day 5), at 1200-1300 but this was Day 4 and up to two hours later!
Specific dates listed are 19 April, 3 May, 7 June and 14 June. The first two
show both 195 and 330 degrees at 500 kW each, while the June dates are 330
degrees only. What is this about? Some kind of testing, or some special
occasions? In any event, axually heard not on the days or times specified
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** GUIANA FRENCH [and non]. No sign of TDF DRM at 1328 May 1 on
17870-17875-17880. Could be they have been persuaded to hold off until 1400 or
so, since in its absence I was able to hear on 17870 Japan in Swahili via
Ascension, and on 17880 CRI in French via Mali. Andy Sennitt heard that the
absence was simply because it was a holiday in France. I wonder if TDF also
skip other transmissions because of that (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** U S A. A new month, and apparently Brother Scare is gone again from WBCQ
7415, where he had been heard overnight until 1100 UT for a few weeks. Instead,
UT May 2 at 0526, I was surprised to hear Keith Perron interviewing Tom Meijer,
ex-Happy Station. These were the same old recordings KP recently posted to the
happystation yg. It turned out that this was included in the International
Radio Report from CKUT, a Sunday morning show which normally has no SW outlet,
with the unmistakable voices of Janice and Steve Karlock. After 0532 they went
on to other matters, including Montreal weather at the time, which is slightly
irrelevant now; over by 0545 so must have started around 0515. At 0546 WBCQ
promo and sign-off, no Brother Scare. So was IRR on WBCQ just a fluke, put on
by the operator on duty, or a new regular thing? Nothing about this on the show
website http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport/ which however has not been
updated in over a year (and tnx for the WOR link!)

The 29 April revision at http://www.overcomerministry.org/SW-UTC.htm does not
show WBCQ, but I never got around to looking at it earlier in April to see if
they ever got around to including WBCQ overnight while it lasted. I wonder what
was on WBCQ at 0430-0515, after Herald of Truth. None of this appears on the
online sked at http://www.zappahead.net/wbcq/main.php?fn=sked&freq=7415
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 7312v, extremely distorted spur, May 1 after 0500 was overriding
RN Flevo 7310, which was audible but weaker this date. Spur was mostly talk in
French, but at 0513 a bit of music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Extremely distorted spur on 7312v: On UT May 2 I was finally
waiting for it early enough to hear it pop on at 0429 with music; 0433 some
talk, 0437 back to music. Just too distorted and too much ChAf from 7310 to
make any more of it. But that scheduling does point to Chad. Of course, 6165 is
blocked here at that hour by Bonaire. If it were a mixing product with MW there
would have to be something on 1148, unlisted and unlikely. Could be 6165
transmitter is very badly mistuned. Is anyone currently hearing it at any other
time? Or maybe they have tried to retune it to a 41mb frequency. Or maybe none
of the above. Note: I can`t get a precise measurement on the frequency since
there does not seem to be a detectable carrier in all the garbage; but on
different dates it has seemed to vary slightly from 7311 to 7314 (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://mail.yahoo.com