Re: [Swprograms] [Internetradio] RNW Programs Survive Beyond Station Closure

Re: [Swprograms] [Internetradio] RNW Programs Survive Beyond Station Closure

This is all so sad; a hobby I grew up with is all but dead. The people advocating these cutbacks undoubtedly never knew the synchronicity of just turning a knob and hearing competing worldviews.

To be fair, this isn't about technology either. Shortwave never could offer broadcasters a reasonable way of measuring their audiences, and the Internet can get part-way there. However, you still have to be putting your views out there to have any audience. Do the Dutch really want the rest of the world to think they have nothing more to say as a people? Oh pul-ese! Competition for global resources is only going to increase, and, while we can hopefully restrain the competition to merely words, those groups with effective voices are going to be advantaged. The disadvantage of the Internet is that you must actively seek out varying views rather than just causally spinning a knob.