Re: [Swprograms] Worldspace files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Re: [Swprograms] Worldspace files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

>From Radiomagonline.com today comes this news, just as some of us predicted
(anyone want to bid?):

World Space Up for Bid

The world's first satellite radio firm, currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, will
be sold to the highest bidder on Jan. 26. Washington, DC-based World Space is
scheduled for a bankruptcy court-ordered auction just ahead of a key
debtor-in-possession (DIP) loan due date on Jan. 29.

World Space has been operating under debtor-in-possession provisions since last
fall. Although it maintains some programming via a South Africa uplink, much of
its operation has been curtailed and much of its former staff has since been
laid off.

>From a business standpoint, the auction couldn't come at a worse time. Both the
U.S. and European Union are experiencing economic contraction and the commercial
credit markets are extremely tight. Compounding the problem is the fact that
satellite radio has yet to yield a profit.

World Space maintains possession of its satellites and ground station assets,
along with licenses for L-band spectrum in Italy and Germany.

--
-Rob de Santos