[Swprograms] OT: Re: BBC Newscast Shifts Lineup on U.S. Public TV Stations

[Swprograms] OT: Re: BBC Newscast Shifts Lineup on U.S. Public TV Stations

Rob,
Your percentages (if they are yours) don't add up.  I add up a total of 51.806 million Comcast cable TV customers.  The analog (basic) only customers would be 47 percent of the total.  While less than half, it is still close to half.  A quarterly loss of only 147,000 is still only a loss of 0.6 of 1 percent of the basic subscription rate.  I don't consider that to be that rapid of a loss.  Losing 600,000 in one year (four times the quarterly loss) is still not that huge of a drop.  Although a loss is a loss as trends go.

A lot will depend on the economy, and cable rates.  We got a notice in the mail just the other day that our cable provider is raising its rate yet again for Family service (which is Basic plus Extended Basic, but nonetheless just analog service) by another $4, bringing that total, with taxes, to somewhere around $65.  This increase is apparently due to higher carriage fees they are being charged, which I don't see getting any better.  I will be curious to see how many people are priced out of having cable television by this trend.  I can see myself in that situation very quickly, especially as jobs and income are affected.

Kevin Anderson