Re: [Swprograms] RNW to end shortwave usage to North America

Re: [Swprograms] RNW to end shortwave usage to North America

My problem with all this doom and gloom is that it ignores history.  Yes,
societies succeed and fail (but others, at the same time, were doing just fine,
thank you).  Yes, sometimes things take a step backward before they go forward.
Economic crises occur because humans sometimes make mistakes or see their
situation in negative economic terms, whether it is or isn't.  And yes, we have
the capability to destroy ourselves if we so choose.  (And have since way before
July, 1945.)  Yes, disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes happen.  (Hmm,
maybe I should write a book on the "Coming Earthquake in California".  Oh,
sorry, been done.)

What it misses is that technology development and knowledge accelerates.
Nevertheless, predictions of the end appear every time there is some sort of
domestic or international crisis.  In my not quite half century I've heard it at
least a dozen times. About every 4 years, I think.  I imagine if we go back to
1961, 1939, 1929, 1914, etc. we could find many more examples.  The probability
of the human race wiping itself out is not zero.  It's also not one or anywhere
close to it.

Economic demand will make alternate sources of energy used and workable if oil
ceases to be available.  Will there be societal disruption as some jobs are
created while others disappear?  Yep.  Will new technology shift demand to new
products from old ones?  Yep.  (Ask owners of conventional phone lines... just a
few years ago there were dire predictions of economic disaster if we didn't
change the telephone systems because we were running out of phone numbers due to
computers and fax machines.  Now those lines are freeing up so fast they can't
be sold.)

So, nothing that has happened in the past year (high oil prices, natural
disasters, financial crises) is new.  It has happened before and will again.
So, unless an external event such as an asteroid hit occurs or the Gospel
huxters prove correct and a God gets even with us, human society will still be
here tomorrow.  Whether you, or I, or our shortwave radios are here or not.

--
-Rob de Santos