Re: [Swprograms] RNW to end shortwave usage to North America as ofthe B-08 schedule change

Re: [Swprograms] RNW to end shortwave usage to North America as ofthe B-08 schedule change

Yes Kevin, I pretty much knew what you were thinking. Notice that I am not
really dismissing your scenario, because such thinking has been part of
humanity since we crawled down from the trees. My own belief is that such
scenarios come from the same part of our brains that manufactures religions.
It's as if we can't accept that we are worthy in our own right to be the
dominant species. We keep expecting the other giant shoe to drop on us.

One of the problems I have with such dire scenarios is that they don't ever
follow through to the logical conclusion. Why would a downward spiral stop
with 1920 technology? Of course it wouldn't, because it's going to build up
momentum. there is no way for 1920s technology to support six billion people
so there would be an inevitable mass die-off, collapsing governments to
little more than city-states. Do I need to tell you what that would do for
metal prices? The ability to produce would quickly evaporate, and I've
already seen a report of a tower being stolen for its metal. In your
nightmare scenario, nobody would be inclined to broadcast to other states;
the far more likely response would be to nuke those perceived as threats.
That would thereby complete our slide to the Dark Ages.

The drawback of any nightmare scenario is the ignorance of the fact that the
Dark Ages was the last era where we had technology that individuals could
maintain completely independently. That's why it's the only honestly likely
stop to any full-scale global collapse.  As I see it, we're going up a steep
and slippery road with the Dark Ages in our mirror. That's where we'll end
up again if we start seriously sliding.

As a post-script to the above, I'm writing this in dying light. My house
still doesn't have main power after hurricane Ike. Would you like to guess
which devices are still going? Yes, the battery-powered digital stuff.  I do
have enough of a generator to keep them fed, but their analog counterparts
don't do enough to justify charging them. Of course, this is not your
nightmare scenario, but I find it telling.