Re: [Swprograms] HD radio audio delay problems...

Re: [Swprograms] HD radio audio delay problems...

As I understand the current regulations, on AM, no multiplexing is permitted and
the sole digital signal must be the same program feed as the analog signal.
Back at the SWL Fest, I had one bullet point in my briefing that mentioned my
own testing which showed back then (testing not yet repeated!) that most of the
signals I had heard on HD were out of sync.  Some by as much as several seconds
(not milliseconds!).  I'll probably retest the local signals before the next
'Fest.

On FM, the first digital channel has to be identical to the primary analog
signal feed but the rest may be almost anything.  Stations whose ownership is
part of the HD Alliance (or whatever they are now called) have agreed to submit
their alternative channel programming to the alliance for coordination and
approval to minimize duplication in any market.  My own observation is that, in
practice, this is more PR than reality since minor changes can result in two
formats being largely the same in all but name and a few songs or hours of
programming being different.

--
-Rob de Santos