Re: [Swprograms] OT: International bbc.com to have advertising

Re: [Swprograms] OT: International bbc.com to have advertising

Mike,

I amy be confused, but when the article refers to BBC World, are they
not talking about the TV channel as distinguished from the BBC World
Service radio stream(s).

Somewhere in the back of my head I have the idea that BBCWS is funded
by the Foreign Office in order to project a proper image of the UK to
the world and preserve the Queen's English in its pure form.  Am I
mistaken?  I also thought BBCWS was available in the UK via Medium Wave
transmitters.  I have heard same while in France and Italy.

I subscribe to BBCWS as part of my satellite direct-broadcast radio
service.  I pay $13 per month for it and about 170 other channels.  I
know that BBC charges my local public radio station about $10,000 per
year for access to BBC news programs. Some of that is my money.

So I am actually paying more for BBC than if I lived in the UK and had
a colour TV set.  And I only get to watch a half hour of BBC World TV
news and old situation comedies via my public TV station to which I
also send money.

Joe