Re: [Swprograms] OT: International bbc.com to have advertising

Re: [Swprograms] OT: International bbc.com to have advertising

BBC World is the television channel.

"BBC World is owned and operated by BBC World Ltd, a
member of the BBC's commercial group of companies and
is funded by subscription and advertising revenues."

http://www.bbcworld.com/Pages/About.aspx

Except this doesn't fully fund it, it loses money and
has got a long term loan from BBC Worldwide which is
where the argument about subsidising it from money
that could be used to reduce the domestic licence fee
comes in.

You are funding it but it's not got enough
subscribers. You can also choose whether to subscribe
to it whereas if I don't pay my licence fee I need to
watch out for a knock on the door, indeed they harass
people who don't have a television set on the grounds
that they fail to see how you can manage without one!

BBC World Service is not officially available on
medium wave in the UK, though in some parts of the
country you can pick it up, but it is available in the
UK on digital terrestrial radio, online and via
digital televion (satellite, cable and broadband).

It's funded by the UK Commonwealth and Foreign Office,
which is taxpayers money. Whether it's aims include
the preservation of the Queen's English in its purest
form is an interesting question as is which form of
English that actually means :)

Mike