Re: [Swprograms] OT, sorta: NY Times to stop charging for parts of their website

Re: [Swprograms] OT, sorta: NY Times to stop charging for parts of their website

The question then becomes if the BBC would consider placing ads on
their website.  The CBC has some...I don't believe the BBC does on
either its domestic services or its international ones.

I believe the threat was that the international audience would have to
pay for video content that would be funded through the licence (sic)
fee for the domestic audience.

Interesting how ads were disdained after the dot com bust, but now
they're viable enough for newspapers to realize that a different,
ad-supported business model works for their web presence.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA