Re: [Swprograms] CBC Overnight changes

As someone who publishes TV schedules on a web site, I long ago adopted the
practice of using one standard time zone (in my case US EST/EDT) and using
Midnight at the divider between days.  Using any time except Midnight just
confuses people.  Even those prone to vernacular use that calls 2 AM Tuesday as
"Monday night" do understand it's Tuesday.  So using Midnight makes sense.

Further, one standard time zone allows anyone who visits my site to convert the
times to their locale as almost all TV viewers (who have lived any significant
length of time anywhere) in North America know how many hours their time zone
differs from New York City, Washington, and Toronto, or can easily determine it.

While using UTC would make for clarity internationally, at least if they used
one consistent time system you could figure out what time it is in your locale.
As it is, even the CBC doesn't seem to know internally and can't get it right in
the information they release.

(Side note:  many TV stations got into the habit of using 5 or 6 AM as the start
of a new day back when most of them signed off for a few hours during every
overnight period and thus started a "broadcast day" in the early AM hours.  The
practice, in a 24 hour world, is anachronistic now.  And don't get me started
about the inappropriate use of AM and PM with 12:00:00.)

--
-Rob de Santos