[Swprograms] CBC Overnight changes

** CANADA. Anomalies keep showing up in the CBC radio schedule. From the
Hotsheet for Wednesday Sept 12, the final entry concerns the start of the new
local day, Thursday:

11. AND THE WINNER IS: It may be the most famous radio documentary you've never
heard. "Bells in Europe" won the prestigious Prix Italia in 1973. It's been
translated into more than 15 languages from the original German. Through war
and peace, through mourning and celebration, bells have played a role. Hear
"Bells in Europe" tonight on And the Winner Is, with host Pat Senson, at
midnight (12:30 NT) on CBC Radio One.

The Sept 12 day schedule also shows a similar show 24 hours earlier at the
beginning of local Wednesday, The Choice, ``Favourite CBC Radio programs and
documentaries as chosen by our listeners and producers.`` These seem to be
outgrowths of ``Rewind`` which has been running at least all summer 24 hours
every earlier, i.e. midnight starting Mondays. I hope this means Hotsheets and
online listings will also start previewing the content of Rewind.

So now it appears that CBC Radio Overnight is not starting now until 1 am
local. Well, yes and no. It seems the midnight hour is still part of Overnight,
but not the WRN relays of various stations. In fact we have all the details at
http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/program/index.jsp?program=CBC+Radio+Overnight

CBC Radio Overnight invites listeners to tune in to CBC Radio One every morning
from midnight to 6 a.m. for CBC Radio News every hour on the hour followed by
information programs from public broadcasters around the world. These programs,
courtesy of the World Radio Network, give Canadians an opportunity to hear some
of the best English-language programming in the world. The international
program schedule is:

Weekdays:
1:05 Radio Netherlands
2:05 Radio Sweden and Radio Australia
3:05 Channel Africa and BBC World Service
4:05 Deutsche Welle and Radio Polonia
5:05 Radio Australia, Radio Prague, Deutsche Welle and Voice of Russia
     [surely not 13.5 minutes each; how does this break down?]

Weekends
1:05 Radio Netherlands
2:05 Radio Prague and Voice of Russia
3:05 Radio Sweden and BBC World Service
4:05 Deutsche Welle
5:05 Radio Australia

Monday Midnight-1:00 AM    Culture Shock
Tuesday Midnight-1:00 AM   The Choice
Wednesday Midnight-1:00 AM And The Winner Is
Thursday 11:00 PM-1:00 AM  Global Business/One Planet
Friday 11:00 [PM]-1:00 AM  Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap
Saturday Midnight          The Ticket
Sunday Midnight            REWIND

NOTE: the above days of week are the night before! Not the new day, even tho
displayed grids start at midnight, rather than end at some inappropriate hour
past midnight. Other versions of the online schedules attach midnight listings
to the previous day. Make up your mind! Note that many of these shows are
obviously from BBCWS, tho not identified as such here.

Note also that we have previously confirmed that Rewind still falls on the
weekend 4-zone, rather than 5-zone repeat pattern. I.e. the first broadcast is
not at midnight ADT = 0305 UT Monday, but at 0405 UT, when it is midnight ET,
and presumably AT/NT zone stations, if they carry it at all, run it
simultaneously, tho that would bump out the first hour of CBC Radio Overnight.
Presumably the same situation applies to The Ticket, 24 hours earlier. This is
pertinent to webcast listeners picking their most convenient listening times.

CBC Radio Overnight scheduling also concerns listeners to 6160 from St. John`s
and Vancouver. Aside from the AT/NT jammup mentioned above on weekends, keep
this in mind in case you find some of those ``SW`` stations on a ``new
frequency``. The 1:05 to 5:05 am listings translate to 0405 to 0805 UT starts
from CKZN, and 0805 to 1205 UT starts on CKZU. However, I think that in many
(most major?) cities, the CBC stations dump out by 5 or 5:30 am local for their
own wake-up programming, right?

Another thing: the Wed Sept 12 Radio One schedule, unlike last week, now agrees
with the Hotsheets that 11 pm - midnight local contains Afghanada and Wiretap;
but are these prepeats or repeats of their other airings? Probably the latter
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)