Re: [Swprograms] WiFi, WiMAX, & Internet "Radio

Re: [Swprograms] WiFi, WiMAX, & Internet "Radio

Along these lines, I have spare old Toshiba laptop with a
100-Mhz Pentium processor and Windows 98 on it that I am
considering adding either a PC Card wired or wireless connection
to and a pair of amplified PC speakers to function specifically
as a audio appliance in the dining room in place of our current
radio.  For my wife and my benefit, I could develop a local
webpage for the browser just to launch links to the radio
streams of interest.  This will still consume more electricity
than I'd care to consume (as compared to an actual radio), which
might be the show stopper, but it would allow me to listen more
to what I want to listen to.  And with a CD player in the
laptop, I would have that ability also.  Currently I'd be more
interested in live radio streams than podcasting per se,
although this system could certainly do both.  I already have
both wired and wireless home networking (although not a
connection specifically in the dining room yet).  The only piece
I'm missing actually is the PC Card for networking for this
particular computer (which requires older 16-bit cards, and not
the more common 32-bit cards sold today).

Kevin Anderson

--
Kevin Anderson, Dubuque IA USA, K9IUA