[Swprograms] DC Radio Experiment Ended

>From "Raw Fisher", a blog by Washington Post writer Marc Fisher

Why Washington Post Radio Died
(Jump to bottom for an update on what will replace Washington Post
Radio.)

>From its sudden and fascinating inception to its slow and awkward
demise, Washington Post Radio was a work in progress. It never came
close to fulfilling its original promise--"NPR on caffeine," in the
spicy phrase of the newspaper's radio-TV guru, Tina Gulland--but it
was a radio station bubbling with possibilities.

Not that many listeners cared to explore those possibilities. The
radio station--which will die next month by mutual consent of its
clumsily-paired parents, The Washington Post and Bonneville
broadcasting--never showed much of a pulse in the ratings, even though
its programming ran on one of the most powerful and storied spots on
Washington's radio dial, the former home of all-news WTOP.

In an era of rapid change in the news and media businesses, when both
print newspapers and broadcast radio stations are seeing huge chunks
of their audience migrate to online news and entertainment sources,
Washington Post Radio was an experiment in stretching the idea that it
doesn't really matter through what platform you get your news--what's
important, rather, is who the storytellers are.

>From the start in March of last year, Post Radio was intended to serve
several purposes: 1) Promote the Post's print and online journalism by
reaching a new audience on the radio. 2) Create another outlet for
Post reporting and thereby add one more justification for keeping a
big, sprawling newsroom at a paper that, like almost all U.S. papers,
is otherwise shrinking its staff. 3) Give Bonneville, the owner of all-
news WTOP and several other D.C. radio stations, a way to capture some
of the Washington region's enormous audience for public radio's more
in-depth and upscale news and information programming. 4) Build on the
powerful profits that WTOP draws as the dominant local station in
morning drive time.

The radio industry by and large found the experiment intriguing but
foolhardy--a difficult marriage of two very different news cultures.
The station, owned by Bonneville in a contract with the Post, was
managed primarily by executives at WTOP's headquarters on Idaho Avenue
NW in McLean Gardens, while most of the people who appeared on the
station sat in a studio built in the Post's downtown newsroom. Both
companies provided producers who worked in their respective newsrooms
organizing each day's programming.

Not long after Post Radio launched, National Public Radio helped local
public stations WAMU (88.5 FM) and WETA (90.9 FM) finance a series of
focus groups with listeners "to help us see what Washington Post Radio
would mean to us," said Caryn Mathes, general manager of WAMU, the
third-most listened to public station in the nation, after outlets in
New York and San Francisco.

The four focus groups were united in their perceptions of Post Radio:
Listeners said that after they tuned in to the Post station, which
launched with the slogan "There's always more to the story," "there
wasn't more to the story," Mathes said. "People felt the station
didn't deliver on deeper, more insider kind of stuff from the
reporters who were on the air."

For the Post's hundreds of reporters and editors, going on the radio
was something new. From the start, some people were good at it, some
were just awful and a lot perhaps had potential, but didn't have much
idea of what we were doing. This was learning by doing--in a very
public way.

At first, the idea was to create a throwback to radio's golden era,
with a station designed like a magazine, with different departments
each hour--an hour on travel from the folks in the paper's Travel
section, an hour with the editors from Book World, an hour of
politics, and so on. But with the station making not a blip in the
ratings and with its producers increasingly convinced that too many of
the Post's writers had perhaps chosen a career in print for a good
reason, the executives at Bonneville quickly moved to scrap the
original format and go to something they knew more intimately--a
tightly-organized hourly clock with different stories and
personalities appearing every five minutes or so.

Listeners had every reason to wonder what had happened to the
increased depth they had been promised. Print editors accustomed to a
more serious news menu clashed with radio producers who argued that
their medium required a more populist and lowbrow selection of
stories. In each newsroom, too many people rolled their eyes over the
cluelessness of their cross-town partners.

When the radio-side producers one morning invited on the air and
lightly questioned some nutball hawking a conspiracy theory about how
the U.S. government had arranged for the 9/11 attacks, editors in the
Post newsroom went ballistic. Although many attempts would follow to
find a happy medium between the two news sensibilities, the basic
reservoir of mutual respect had dropped suddenly and permanently to a
dangerous low.

At its best, Washington Post Radio was a comfortable, personable and
conversational way to learn what was in that day's newspaper and
sometimes even to get the story behind the story. The station's
anchors were top-shelf professionals, from NBC veteran Bob Kur and
former local TV weather forecaster Hillary Howard to CBS and NPR
newsman Sam Litzinger and longtime local radio host David Burd. And
some of the Post's voices worked splendidly on radio, winning praise
within the industry and from listeners as well--Lisa deMoraes on
television, Stephen Hunter on movies, Emilio Garcia-Ruiz on sports,
and columnist Gene Robinson on just about anything.

Sometimes, the theory behind the station became reality, and a foreign
correspondent could phone in from the scene of an earth-moving event
with the kind of firsthand account that radio was invented to deliver.
More often, however, the reporters who came on the air did little more
than repeat what they'd said in that morning's paper.

In the end, there were too many oh-my-God, Martha, this person is
freezing up live on the radio moments. A Book World segment crashed
and burned when a writer insisted on reading his pearls of wisdom
verbatim from his newspaper work. And on more occasions than either
side cared to admit, reporters were told to come on the air to talk
about one story, only to go live and hear an anchorman ask them about
something wholly different, about which the reporter knew not a thing.

In the end, though, Post Radio's competitors say it was the basic
concept that was flawed: "It sounded like a bad college seminar where
neither the professors nor the students knew how to keep anyone
listening," said the program director of an FM music station who asked
not to be named because he might work with people at Bonneville in the
future.

And from the other end of radio's spectrum, this from the chief of the
region's most powerful public radio outlet: "This assumption that
people don't have an attention span is kind of offensive," WAMU's
Mathes said. "People who want a deep contextual approach to news do
have an attention span."

For those of us who tried our hand at radio, Washington Post Radio was
enormous fun, a chance to dive into a form that might seem similar,
but really requires very different skills. The idea that Post
executives fell in love with remains an important one: If the American
newspaper is to survive as the basic foundation of newsgathering in
this country, the companies that produce daily papers will have to
find ways to sell their wares in various other media. But what the
demise of Post Radio teaches is that that expansion into other crafts
will mean that news organizations must hire and train people with a
different set of talents and passions, and that inevitably entails a
different concept of what the news is. It's a new world out there.
Read all about it.

2:30 PM UPDATE:

This just in from Bonneville, the owner of the stations at 1500 AM and
107.7 FM, as well as 820 AM in Frederick, that were Washington Post
Radio--the new station will be called Talk Radio 3WT and will feature
syndicated right wing talkers Neal Boortz and Glenn Beck, as well as
liberal talker Stephanie Miller.

Here's the text of a press release from Bonneville's local boss, Joel
Oxley:

WASHINGTON, D.C. August 28, 2007 Bonneville International Corporation
announced today that it will replace Washington Post Radio (WTWP) on
1500 AM, 107.7 FM and 820 AM with a personality-driven station, Talk
Radio 3WT (call letters WWWT).

Talk Radio 3WT will feature a lineup of personalities currently heard
on the station - David Burd, Jessica Doyle, "The Tony Kornheiser
Show," and Pat Goss - along with established,
nationally-recognized personalities Neal Boortz, Bill O'Reilly, Glenn
Beck, and Stephanie Miller, as well as play-by-play sports. The
station's slogan will be "Left, Right, and Whatever We Want,"
reflecting 3WT's diverse collection of personalities and opinions.

Earlier this week, Bonneville International Corporation and The
Washington Post agreed to end their broadcast alliance which had
resulted in the creation of Washington Post Radio.

Washington Post Radio, owned and operated by Bonneville International
Corporation, was a collaborative effort which launched in March 2006
and featured station hosts interviewing editors, reporters and
columnists at The Washington Post.

"Washington Post Radio was a tremendous experiment in broadcasting,
and it was wonderful working with The Washington Post, a world-class
newspaper," says Bonneville D.C. Sr. VP Joel Oxley. "While many
advertisers were satisfied with the results the station generated, we
just did not garner the Arbitron ratings we had hoped for. When we
launched the 'Tony Kornheiser Show,' it was met with such success that
we realized we needed to take the station in the direction of
personality-driven talk with more opinion and less hard news. Since
this did not meet the original vision of Washington Post Radio, The
Washington Post and Bonneville mutually agreed to end the broadcast
alliance."

"We'll continue to work together as media professionals as we always
have," Oxley added. "The Washington Post has a huge array of talented
people that we've featured for years on our radio stations in many
capacities, and we will continue to do so. We're fortunate to have a
great relationship with, and access to, one of the finest
organizations with some of the best professionals in the world."

3WT will debut on 1500 AM, 107.7 FM, and 820 AM in Frederick on
September 20.